Welcome to the Brown/Correia Pod from Mr. Brown
2020/2021 Parents... If you are still getting blog updates you can unsubscribe now unless you are really into what is going on in 5th grade. I can't do it for you. Sorry. Hope your summer is going well!
2021/2022 Parents... You can subscribe to this fabulous blog to get updates automatically in the future. There should be a button at the top of the screen. Up to you but we are pretty interesting...
August 1, 2021
Dear Parents & Students,
Summer is coming to a rapid close and school is near. By now you've realized that you, or your child, is going to spend 180 high quality, fun-filled, exciting days in the Brown/Correia pod. You may have already done your teacher research at the Bluffs or your neighborhood coffee group. Some of you, on the other hand, are just getting started. Either way, I understand that this time of year is filled with the uncertainty of transitions and new beginnings. First let me assure you that the transition to McKelvie will be almost completely painless for the students. We'll have them navigating the halls, making new friends, and walking to their IAs all on their own in just a few days. Personally, I have only lost a couple of students in the first week of school, and we found them after a day or two; mostly unharmed I might add. Parents, on the other hand, often find this transition to be a little bit more difficult. I assure you that I have not lost any parents, and if we work together we'll get you through new grading systems, Powerschool, odd and even days, integrated arts, parent pick up, WIN blocks, not being able to visit your child's classroom several times a week, and a whole bunch of other new things to learn. To that end, please come to Parent Information Night (TBD - Not posted at this time, but keep checking MIS website for details). I find that parents who miss this night spend a lot of time trying to catch up on information that they missed.
In case you are not getting good information through your local teacher information resource I can tell you that I enjoy assigning hours and hours of homework, giving pop quizzes, and listening to Zac Brown or Jimmy Buffett. I spend way too much time riding my bikes, but don’t seem to look like I do. This is the beginning of my 23rd year teaching in Bedford. I like the Yankees, because my dad is a Yankee fan and his dad was too. I am a Pats fan and I'm excited for the upcoming season, although I can't say I'm not concerned a little bit. Really, still Cam Newton!?! I am a Bruins fan; sad to see you go Krejci. In the winter, I ski almost every weekend with my family and love to get a run in with students if you're headed up to the mountains. Let's hope we get some great snow this year.
I have two children, Hannah (18) and Owen (16). I use them to test out all my punishments, homework assignments, jokes, games, or anything else that I'm not totally sure is a good idea. Hannah is headed to college in a couple of weeks to study nursing and play soccer; we are proud of her but know a big change is ahead. I have a beautiful wife, Roxanne, that makes sure I make it work on time and takes good care of me, so I can take reasonably good care of you or your student. We promise to return all students at the end of the day in basically the same condition you sent them; no sleepovers! I appreciate open and honest communication from students and parents; if you have a concern please let me know. We'll figure it out. Having two kids who both played travel soccer, school soccer, soccer training, etc. I get how homework impacts your after school schedule. I definitely try to assign a fair amount of homework and won’t yell or freak out if it isn’t done. On the other hand, I also don’t allow students to offer excuses; it’s either done or it isn’t. That keeps it pretty simple and judgement free. We will talk about homework at Parent Information Night (TBD - Check MIS website calendar for dates), but I think you will find it to be a reasonable amount.
We often find that parents feel that McKelvie is the perfect point in their child’s life to “let them handle it on their own”. Please know that your child will need more help setting up routines and establishing study habits than before and that this will truly pay off in the long run. In many cases these aren’t things we can help them with from school. A little time and effort this year will be worth it; now is not the time for taking your hand off the tiller. Every student is different, and will need different levels of supervision. We are happy to help you with suggestions or ideas.
Academically, I expect students to give me their best effort, make mistakes, learn from their mistakes, have sharpened pencils ready to go for every class, bring in chocolate chip cookies to share with me on a regular basis, and plan all vacations to exotic locations with space for me. I also expect everyone to have some fun in our classroom. If you don't know your math facts I suggest learning them; no bigger key to math success than knowing the multiplication tables. If you or your student is worried about being able to keep up with the work, getting put in a locker (only really small kids fit anyway), getting lost, and not making friends you'll be just fine. We are going to do a lot of work, but I will help students. We offer extra help one morning a week. Students who attend extra help will often get a preview of upcoming assessments so it's worth the effort to come in. We will have WIN (What I Need) 2-3 times a week for help during the day. If those times aren't enough students can come in for part of a recess; it might be worth skipping the 4square game for a few minutes to figure out how to add fractions. No matter how it gets done, there is always a way to get the help a student needs to be successful in the 5th grade.
Again, I cannot stress how important it is to be sure at least one parent attends Parent Information Night. I find the information prevents misunderstandings and confusion down the road, and seventy-two emails back and forth explaining why notes are needed when your child changes his or her after school plan for the day. If you cannot come, we'll certainly try to get you all the necessary information, but attending will really be helpful as you make the transition to McKelvie and the Brown/Correia pod.
The first day of school can be scary, but I promise students that they will find plenty of great new kids that are looking for new friends. A month from now your playdate schedule will look much different than it did when you were in elementary school. All the teachers are here to help you so don't worry.
A few final suggestions for the first day:
Make sure students know how to get home - please do not assume your child knows the plan. Even better, send them with a note. (#1 cause of tears first day)
Send in a cold lunch - the lunch line is a bit crazy on the first day or two (save yourself the frustration).
Pack a snack and use an insulated water bottle.
Unpack all your supplies AT HOME. Please do not send blister packs to school. Think of the mess on Christmas morning x 25 kids.
Dress for the weather plus a few degrees. Think sauna plus desert savanna and you have our room temp on hot days! (We hit 89 degrees in that final June heat wave - good times!). Those new jeans might look great but save them for October.
Do not bring locker decorations on the first day. We will cover what can and cannot be added to lockers. I’d wait on the sticker kit and disco ball until you're sure you can use it before purchasing.
Smile! 24 or other kids are dying to find a new best friend. No reason it won't be you.
See you soon.
Mike Brown